Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Tales and Rača

Okay, if you have never been to a wine festival: GO! Seriously, what are you waiting for? (Maybe to come visit me - so that I can take you).

I was in Rača this weekend at the wine festival there. The festival consisted of two streets that were lined, on both sides, with booths that sold wine and food. The wine was the "new wine," or burciak, from 2008. It was very sweet and delicious and there were lokše, which looked and tasted like lefse! There were about ten of us that went together and, needless to say, fun was had by all. There were also a lot of pictures (enjoy)!

And school...I had my first bad school day yesterday, and it all came down to grading and the nature of the assignment I gave. It is strange to be teaching the equivalent of American high schoolers, while balancing the fact that they are operating in their second language. The assignment was a paper, and although I am giving them a lot of support and chances to conference and re-write with me, it was a little ambitious to give to a class that I do not know very well, at the very beginning of the year. I know where I want to lead them, and they will get there, but this may not have been the best path to take right now. The amazing thing about my students is that they are very gracious and dedicated. Today was amazingly better. And to top it all off, my roommate and I planned our next unit on the Canterbury Tales over chinese food tonight. I am excited about it! (If you have any ideas on the Canterbury Tales, please let me know!) I have been blessed with amazing "flatties" (my roommates), and a wonderfully supportive family here. God is good, and is taking care of me!

Random stories:

1. My first years want to learn "eenie meenie mynie moe!" (It all began when I needed to choose someone in class one day. Instead of something more mature like "pick a number between 1 and 10," my mind came up with this childish 'chooser' first. Oh my).

2. At approximately 7:50 p.m. I experienced my first "mad dash" to the store when my flatties and I realized that we were out of toilet paper. The store closes at 8:00. I got there in time, only to discover that they were completely out of toilet paper! (Oh the up-side, they did have the tortillas that we were looking for last week and couldn't find!)

3. I had a really blonde moment the other day during lunch and asked what kind of breaded meat we were having...it was cheese.

:0) Maika



Part of the Clan
(Including Jon, Stephanie, Carsten, Larry, Jana, Me, and Becky)



lokše!!



The clan with umbrellas!



Burciak



Colgate Smile!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm, Canterberry Tales, Maika. I have to say back in High School, that probably was one of my least favorite books. But then a year ago, I actually went to Canterberry and learned the history of the pilgrimages there. Well anyways I just wanted to check in. Finally got my permanent address in MN. Thats right I will have to finally get one of those MN IDs

beignet said...

Hi Maika,
Grandma and Alfred just read your blog and it was interesting and funny. Were so happy that you are enjoying your time over there and look forward to reading your blog whenever we can get next to a computer. Missed you at Thanksgiving time! We had fun and wish you a Merry Christmas!
Gary and Brenda say Hi also.