Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Lebo Palica

Interesting things that have happened lately:

1. I walked home from school one day and counted the following:
  • Three older ladies: two with red hair, one with purple. It is a big thing for older women to dye their hair in radical colors!
  • One guy walking down the cobblestone street carrying a computer screen - cord dragging on the ground. ??
  • Six police cars - sirens blaring - rushing down the street. I think I am a little afraid of the police here. There is the "run-in" incident, but in general, the police wear really big, white gloves, drive with their windows down, and stick either their hands or head out while they are driving. Hmm..
2. I rode the jungle bus. I ride bus 80 to school everyday. Usually, it is a one car bus with a plain, and dirty, exterior and tearing, or really worn and plain, seats inside. There are nice buses here, and then there are the 80 buses....yeah. But, today, at 7:34 a.m., I rode the jungle bus 80! There will be a picture someday because it must be seen - words can't really capture its amazingness.

3. I am learning Slovak!....kinda.....not really.....a little. I can successfully say things like please, thank you, stick, sweet dreams, have a good day, next, can I please have....?, why?, what's up?, what is this?, how do say it in slovak?, this, good-bye, and because of the bear (or lemon). :0) I am actually obsessed with the word stick: palica (sounds like "Paul-eats-uh" with an accent on the first syllable.) I think I would like to learn how to say it in a couple more languages. Hey, you never know when it might come in handy ("palica" was actually the only word I understood from the chaplain's sermon last week!!)

Čauko!

:0) Maika

No comments: